Thursday, November 6, 2008

Taking out the trash




I watched part of the "Jon and Kate + 8" the other night before sleepy time. I usually will watch from time to time to see how they handle stressful moments or issues with two 1st graders and six 3 yr. olds. They had there first planned movie night with popcorn and drinks in the basement to watch something the kids would enjoy. They love animals! So they watched "Planet Earth". My opinion.....HUGE mistake! They loved the monkeys, lions and goats. Until they saw one lion devour a monkey on the screen. It reminded me that I too have to be carefull what my son should watch. It is not out of trying to raise them like Quakers or to take away there rights. It is out of protection. Shouldn't I feel he would be ready before I allow him to view questionable stuff. They should be old enough to understand when you explain what is going on. Now I have the Gosselins in my memory as they are screaming and crying over the Lion eating the monkey. Now I am still terrified that they continued to allow them to watch the Lion eat the entire monkey. Every experience we’ve had is recorded in our memory (I wish I had the delete button for some of mine). If the sum of our life experience is negative and self-gratifying, that backlog of memory can have a powerful influence over our present circumstances. It’s important that we go to work eliminating the effects of those experiences.


One way to aid this process is what we could call the principle of diluting. If a truck carrying a toxic substance has a wreck on the freeway, a specialized crew is called to clear the toxins from the scene. To completely clear the contamination they’d have to get rid of the pavement, the dirt, and everything that’s affected. Instead, they spray a liquid on the contaminated area which dilutes the toxin, rendering it harmless. In a similar way, we can cancel the poisonous effects of the past by diluting them and covering them with God’s Word. Ephesians 5:26 says Jesus sanctified the Church, "having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word…" As we meditate on the Word and act on what we learn, we receive cleansing and purifying benefits.
The disciplines of Bible meditation, scripture memorization are important tools and having company that will protect you from the trash this world dishes out will not only bring cleansing, but also help us remain wholehearted on this life long journey. This life is already hard enough....why make it harder! Take out the trash!

No comments: